Skip to main content

Free Inventory!! Dumpster Diving for Gucci

 Spoiler alert. I found Gucci. And Chanel. Zara. 

The best part? No costs. 

This afternoon, after I had lunch, I took my bike around downtown. I discovered a community donation dumpster but it was overfull - there were bags stuck in the chute. And there were two large unassuming trash bags that I couldn't help but look through. 

I found bras my size and got excited. I still need pants and bras/braletts which is very hard to find for my small size. Seeing them all donated made me think that resellers were right - extra small sizes are not worth reselling. But here was a large bag of designer, and I didn't even know, riding my bike 4 times to take the bags down the street, down the road to my apartment. 

I had no idea but from what I pulled earlier - I knew there were some really great stuff. I am going to pick 4 items to replace the 4 items I removed from my store.  

I will update this post with some photos. If I keep anything for myself (I'm tempted to keep some wide leg trousers for my future dream job as a substitute teacher) then I have to get rid of 2 items currently in my closet. This year I've been searching for my style as I search for my 30-year-old self.

Earlier in January, Anna and I went to the church thrift store close to Kilgore. (it's not there any more.) I got a bag of clothes for myself and shoes. Later, some of the clothes didn't fit me as I liked, so I've been meaning to list those. Summer was the time I really started to list more clothes since they have a higher sale through rate than most vintage books.

Over the summer, Jade donated two bags of clothes and they are in storage. Diane, a friend I met through resuce, took me to the Kindness Kloset and let me pick out some clothes for me. Then later in the summer, Diane one Sunday gave me two bags of all extra smalls. (Again, small clothes do not move fast even for churches and thrift stores.) And I was so so grateful! I got New Balance shoes, I got a bunch of cute trendy clothes. So much, I look nice now. I used to look so weathered and tired and scrunchy, but now, why, you coudn't tell a single thing about me.

A new reseller friend sent me a care package of shoes - vans in my size, and pretty pin up style heels in nude. It reminded me of a pair of shoes from 10 years ago - it's a faint memory - but I held on to a similar pair of nude heels after graduating highschool. I pondered what I wore with them. 
Probably skinny jeans.

I've recieved more discarded school bus clothes. A teacher donated a bag of still in the box shoes and clothes and devotional books. I took a few books, a flannel, and a bright orange jumpsuit. The next day, all the books were in the dumpster, sodden, bleeding ink from a fresh downpour.

Poverty has taught me how hard it is not to look at what people throw away.

Part I: Listing New Discoveries


       A total of four bags of clothes. Should I count how many items there are? Place them into categories i.e. pants, shoes, women's, men's? 
     When I do make money, do I pay myself first or buy more inventory? How much should I set aside for more inventory?
      As I've begun, I will focus first on brand names before I do research on the tagless clothes. Find the brands in the bag that sell for the most.














What I've learned:


JRIDE was right about Lacoste - these golf polos resell for a lot. Then the Sell Thru Rate for Victoria Secret is  100% - 584 sold within the last 90 days and there are 5k of them. And definitely pick up Jordan basketball shorts - the black label with the red Michael Jordan logo.

Also as a cross lister, it might sell faster for me. Large resellers like JRIDE, DAILY REFINEMENT, and DIXONS PICKENS advise to focus on one platform. Multiple goals are difficult to achieve. A Chinese proverb illustrates it well; "if you chase two rabbits, both with escape." The meaning being that if you put your efforts and energy into trying to fulfill two goals at the same time, you won't succeed in either one.


20 minutes later...

The Jordans were flawed, the seem in the back is undone but I think it's a quick sitch fix and worth it since these sell consistently for $40. 

It's 7 PM so i'm just going to finish cross listing to Mercari. Which item will sell first? Which platform will have the first sale? Only time will tell.

the next day....


I am so sad that these clothes have had their tags removed - for some reason, the previous owner did not want the new owner to know they were wearing $800 shirts or $50 basketball shorts. Can I say an item is luxury if the brand is missing? This bag was full of designer: Gucci, Lacoste, Zara, Celine.

I am seeing this Celine tank sports jersey going for $400. But how do I authenticate a designer item without the tag?

I picked 3 random items and used google search to find the brands. 

Celine jersey top.

Real Madrid Adidas shorts

Possibly Fendi shorts. Boohoo clothing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free to E-Bike- $54.02

 It dawned on me that I've been making money from free inventory these last two months. It's a risk free way to get into clothes. I think I have sold more clothes than books.  There was the Free Inventory I received from my neighbor. I was able to get more needful clothes for myself, and I've already sold a few items. Then there was the free inventory I got from the school bus lost and found.  I decided to do a fun series where I save up for a used car. I use my Mercari money for my dental transformation and that is a separate series. I already have a video called Mercari Buys Me Glasses.  Here is my video sourcing at the Lost and Found, I've made two: Not everyone Can source here...free inventory Sourcing at the Lost and Found Recently, on Ebay, I sold this Reebok sweater. It sold for $13.00 buyer paid $4.99 shipping. His total was $19.25, and my profit was $8.92. The Nike blue lunch box was a surprise sell for me, so I went back and picked up the other lunch boxes. It

Goodwill Resell for Profit - Did I Make My Money Back?

    On May 5th I went to Goodwill and purchased books to resell in my secondhand bookshop. I spent a total of $24.67 at Goodwill, but $2 was for personal use. I have already made my money back on these books!        I want to take a look at the sales that came through so far, now everything else in my Goodwill haul that sells will be 100% profit. I also wrote in my previous blog post that I hoped to make my money by the 20th, and it's the 22nd.  The first sale was this Rainbow Brite , like new, book. I listed it for $13 and someone made an offer for $10 within 24 hours of listing. My COG was .99, the selling fee was 1.00 and the processing fee was .91. $8.09 was deposited into my Mercari account. After COG, my profit was $7.10. I am trying to make my money back as fast as possible with this Goodwill experiment. I sent offers to likers and gave a whopping $5 off for this fantasy book lot, the buyer accepted for $17 and paid for shipping.  I forgot that my COG was .99 cents and not

What Sold January 15-21 (My First Week Back!) I turned .25 cents into $13.49!

 I can't believe that the same week I started listing I got sales!! There were three occasions, all sunny afternoons at the end of January between 3 pm and 5pm, right before it got too dark to take pictures. I took photos of all new inventory and chose Pango Books and Mercari to start listing.  There has been a lot of promotions on my Facebook page, the social media platform I spend most of my time on. I joined some facebook groups for resellers. I decided on my next paycheck, I wanted to buy my domain. This side hustle was my dream job, maybe being a teacher feels out of reach. But I've always wanted to be a writer. A bookseller, being my own business owner, maybe. Just maybe that's what I can do!  My reselling goal is to make what I made at my survival job. (I got paid $12/hour and worked 16 hours a week. Some weeks I worked 22 hours.) I'll be satisfied if I make any where between $80- $170. I listed a total of ___ books to each platform, and a total of 3 books sold.